Here is Josh’s top 10 from the season preview, along with some other information you might find useful …
Top 10 teams
1. Stepinac: Loaded with speed, size and at least five seniors who are FBS recruits, the Crusaders certainly have the talent. They now must prove they can beat the CHSFL’s best: St. Anthony’s, Iona Prep and Chaminade.
2. New Rochelle: Could these Huguenots channel the 2012 state champs? That team also failed to reach the Section 1 championship the previous year, but returned oodles of talent and won a state title.
3. Iona Prep: Like Stepinac, the Gaels boast scores of returning stars, led by Qaadir Sheppard, Stephon Smith and Brian Thompson. They were the superior team when healthy last year, but an offseason injury to quarterback Robert Madison is an early misstep.
4. Somers: The two-time defending Class A champs have eyes on a threepeat. Their backfield and defense both return loaded with experience. They are a clear early favorite in the class.
5. North Rockland: Led by arguably the area’s best player in Eric Favors, the Red Raiders will be strong up the middle again. They’ll need to be more consistent offensively to win a championship.
6. Rye: Andrew Livingston and Tim DeGraw are the area’s most prolific duo. If Rye can block and tackle, it will challenge for the championship again.
7. Scarsdale: Do-everything star James Nicholas headlines a dynamic Raiders team that must prove it can survive a schedule with Section 1 powers New Rochelle and North Rockland.
8. Nyack: The margin of error is thin up front, but the Indians are loaded with speed and playmaking ability. Their backfield could be Rockland County’s best and one of the best in Class A.
9. John Jay: The combination of Ryan Lee and Hunter Keech will cause defensive coordinators nightmares, but can John Jay play enough defense? The offseason transfer of all-section lineman Alex Katchadurian to Brunswick will hurt, but the Indians remain dynamic.
10. Sleepy Hollow: Two years ago, coach Steve Borys trumpeted his new quarterback as a potential star. Devin Lopez was all that and more. The preseason hype has been just as strong for new running back Jonathan Gomez. Here we go.
Keep an eye on: With 35 returning players, John Jay-East Fishkill is expected to be a serious challenger in Class AA. White Plains graduated almost its entire team, but has plenty of young talent to begin its title defense. And Horace Greeley could be a sleeper despite the move up in class thanks to its star QB Cameron Ciero. … Despite the departure of longtime coach Art Troilo Jr., don’t count out Harrison, which is led by Byrant commit Drew Estes and linemen Steven Forrest and Christian LoDolce. … Our Lady of Lourdes should challenge in Class B thanks to star QB Dean Rotiger. The defending champ, Pleasantville, returns strong up front, led by John Tucci and Jack Drillock. Another Class B contender is Ardsley, which boasts a potent offense led by QB Joe DeGuardia. … Big, strong Bronxville and speedy Woodlands should challenge in Class C, although defending champ Rye Neck may return as the preseason favorite. Senior Dom Brescia headlines a solid core of experienced Rye Neck stars. … Despite offseason and preseason turmoil, expect Tuckahoe to challenge again at the state level in Class D. Enoch Penney-Laryea and Anthony Castracucco will lead a strong backfield.
Nov. 1: Section 1 Class B and C finals at Mahopac High School
Nov. 8: Section 1 Class AA, A and D finals at Mahopac High School
Nov. 9-22: CHSFL playoffs
Nov. 14-15: State quarterfinals at Mahopac High School and Dietz Stadium, Kingston
Nov. 21-22: State semifinals at Dietz Stadium, Kingston
Nov. 29-30: State championships at the Carrier Dome, Syracuse
Here are the Twitter feeds you should follow to keep up with football in the Lower Hudson Valley:
Andrew Delva, Spring Valley football coach (@damann44)
Blind Brook team account (@BlindBrookFtbl)
Brewster football supporters (@TheBrewsterBear)
Dan Ricci, Ossining football coach (@CoachRicOHS)
Eastchester team account (@EastchesterFB)
Jorge Veintimilla, Sleepy Hollow football account (@therealhorsemen)
Mahopac Maniacs fan account (@mahopacmaniacs)
New York State Sportswriters Association – state rankings, records, all-state teams (@nysswa)
Panas sports account (@PanasSports)
Saunders team account (@SHSFootball28)
Section 1 Athletic Trainers’ Society (@SOATS_ATs)
Tappan Zee team account (@tzfootball)
Ted Florio, Kennedy football coach (@CoachTedFlorio)
The Crop, Yorktown fan account (@the_crop)
Send us your videos
The Journal News would like to link to your highlight videos. Please email them to Josh Thomson at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org