Walton coach Jim Hoover was the clear winner in USA Today High School Sports’ Best Coach in New York contest. The two-time state champ won by nearly 15,000 votes and was more than 30,000 votes ahead of the top local finisher, Tony DeMatteo. The Somers coach finished third.
New Rochelle coach Lou DiDienzo was fifth out of eight.
Here are the results, which you can also check out by clicking here:
USA Today High School Sports—
Best Coach in New York:
1. Jim Hoover, Walton: 38,654 votes
2. Joe Casamento, CBA-Syracuse: 23,916 votes
3. Tony DeMatteo, Somers: 7,247 votes
4. John Faller, Sweet Home: 4,065 votes
5. Lou DiRienzo, New Rochelle: 3,638 votes
6. Gene Tundo, Orchard Park: 1,798 votes
7. Rich Reichert, St. Anthony’s: 1,343 votes
8. Tom Flatley, Garden City: 79 votes