- Varsity Insider - http://varsityinsider.lohudblogs.com -
The 2012 Super 7
Posted By Josh Thomson On November 30, 2012 @ 2:30 am In Boys Basketball | Comments Disabled
So here’s the list of this year’s Super 7 and Second 7 — 14 of the top returning basketball players in the Lower Hudson Valley. Two of the Super 7 were selected for the second season. The others are all new, including three underclassmen who were included in one group or the other.
As always, there were a number of tough choices, so congrats to all of those players who were selected.
• Joe Clarke, New Rochelle (pictured left): The football star is also the Huguenots’ leading returning scorer and rebounder. Clarke’s strength and speed at 6-foot-3 gives him a unique blend of athletic gifts just about unmatched in the section.
• Kevin Degnan, Pearl River: The junior big man has sprouted to 6-foot-7 and is as adept away from the rim as he is near it. Division I schools have begun lining up for his services already. He recently attended Midnight Madness at Iona.
• Josh Doughty, Mount Vernon: Last season, he backed up Mr. Basketball, Isaiah Cousins, who now starts at Oklahoma as a freshman, but he’s been a key cog for the two-time defending Class AA state champs. The electric 5-foot-11 senior is now the Knights’ unquestioned leader.
• Brendan Hynes, Mahopac (pictured above): In his varsity debut, the 6-foot-3 swingman averaged 19 points and 10 rebounds and led a revamped team to the Class AA championship game against Mount Vernon. If the Indians book a third straight trip to the County Center, he’ll be a reason why.
• Josh James, Stepinac: This Super 7 repeat thrived in the CHSAA’s top league as a junior. As the floor general for one of the area’s top teams, the 6-foot-1 senior’s confidence has continued to soar after he signed with Division I Monmouth earlier this month.
• Jeff Lynch, Byram Hills: The other Super 7 repeat, this 5-foot-11 senior led the Bobcats to a gold ball as a sophomore and had them in line for a potential repeat until injuries cut short his season. If healthy after offseason ankle surgery, he’s the area’s best combination of shooting and playmaking in one package.
• Eric Paschall, Dobbs Ferry: The 6-foot-6 junior just began to scratch the surface when he averaged 20 points and nine rebounds last season. He is the area’s top recruit, with standing offers from six Division I schools, including West Virginia, Providence and Northwestern.
• • • • •
• Jack Daly, Eastchester: This 6-foot-2 lefty ranked among the section’s top scorers as a sophomore, earning all-conference honors. He will be even more of a focal point without 1,000-point scorer Dave Solano.
• Brian Daniels, Briarcliff: The 6-foot-4, double-double threat averaged a team-best 16.6 points and grabbed 7.0 rebounds per game to earn touranment MVP honors as Hudson Valley won gold at the BCANY Summer Hoops Festival.
• Joe Letizia, Tappan Zee: This fifth-year starter, two-time Class A champ and football star will try and add scoring to his game. He already ranks as one of the section’s top on-ball defenders and competitors.
• Jamal Lewis, Mount Vernon: The 6-foot-2 senior is the section’s highest riser and a candidate to lead the Knights in scoring. He’ll be a treat to watch catch alley-oops from Doughty and co.
• Umar Singh, North Salem: Expect the bullish 6-foot-5 forward to average a double-double after a strong junior season. His presence alone turns the Tigers — Section 1’s smallest Class B school — into a County Center contender.
• Jack Sullivan, Albertus Magnus (pictured right): The 6-foot guard signed with Division II UMass-Lowell. He earned second-team all-county honors and helped Albertus win the last two Class B titles.
• Ian Thom, Croton-Harmon: The 6-foot-1 senior sharpshooter is on pace to break the program record for points and assists. He’s closing in on 1,000 points for his career.
• • • • •
Article printed from Varsity Insider: http://varsityinsider.lohudblogs.com
URL to article: http://varsityinsider.lohudblogs.com/2012/11/30/the-2012-super-7/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://varsityinsider.lohudblogs.com/files/2012/11/hynes.jpg
 Image: http://varsityinsider.lohudblogs.com/files/2012/11/bilde-20.jpeg
 Image: http://varsityinsider.lohudblogs.com/files/2012/11/bilde-19.jpeg