Last week: 2-3
Another poor week for me, this time thanks to Mahopac, which proved me wrong. Twice.
Back at it for another week. I’ll probably see eight or more games over the next six days. Here’s a five-pack of predictions from that group:
• MONDAY: Blind Brook at Valhalla, 4:15 p.m. — Their rivalry dates back a few years. It was renewed at Blind Brook earlier this season in a Trojan win. I think the roles reverse this week. Valhalla has continued to pile up victories while Blind Brook has been hobbled by injury. I sense a series split. The pick: Valhalla 51, Blind Brook 50
• TUESDAY: North Rockland at Clarkstown South, 5:30 p.m. — I won’t make the same mistake again. A couple weeks back, I picked North Rockland to beat South at home. South won comfortably. I’d expect the same. The Vikings are home, and will want to erase the memory of last week’s loss to Fox Lane. The pick: South 57, North Rockland 49
• THURSDAY: Saunders at Eastchester, 4:15 p.m. — Even though I saw their first meeting, it’s almost a bad gauge for the rematch. That was a tale of two totally different games. Saunders dominated one, Eastchester the other. There was no in between. The Eagles should benefit by playing at home on a smaller floor because Saunders is the quicker team and likes to generate offense on the break. Eastchester thrives more in the halfcourt, which should be the edge if it’s close late. The pick: Eastchester 66, Saunders 60
• SATURDAY: Byram Hills vs. Tappan Zee at New Rochelle High School, 2 p.m. — Byram is very similar to Albertus. Smart, skilled, quick. Both can shoot the 3. They make few mistakes. And they are well-coached. But not only is TZ played better right now, TZ is bigger and stronger while maintaining a lot of the smarts and skill that helped make Byram and Albertus into championship teams. Byram could win a close one, but if the margin is more than a few points, it’ll favor the Dutchmen. The pick: Tappan Zee 58, Byram Hills 50
• SATURDAY: Iona Prep at New Rochelle, 4 p.m. — I can see an ugly, closely contested game between neighbors. Points will be very tough to come by at certain points. Both should be relatively well-rested and should enter the game confident. Right now, I favor Iona because of experience and execution. The pick: Iona Prep 51, New Rochelle 47