Above is a highlight video of Harrison’s Vin Nicita and Charlie Credendino, who joined me tonight on Varsity Insider Chat. Thanks to the guys for coming in to talk Harrison football and Saturday’s game against Poughkeepsie.
If you missed it and want to watch the chat in its entirety, check it out in on-demand at LoHud.com/VCLive.
Halfway through, I read off my newest Top 10 list. That’s listed below, plus my Top 10 for each class in Section 1 and more. Enjoy…
1. New Rochelle (1-0, Last week: 1) — The Huguenots received exactly what they wanted in Week 1. Their relatively new defense pitched another shutout and their new QB fulfilled some of his great promise in his first varsity start. They couldn’t have asked for much more.
2. Stepinac (1-0, Last week: 2) — After a bit of a slow start, Stepinac rolled, showing its big-play ability in an easy win over Middletown. The Crusaders will find out of they’re ready for the AAA with Saturday’s matchup with No. 4-ranked Chaminade.
3. Iona Prep (1-0, Last week: 3) — From the moment he threw an 80-yard TD pass on his first throw, Mario Biaggi did more than enough to ensure a smooth transition. In fact, Iona probably feels a whole lot more confident in general than it did a week ago.
4. White Plains (0-0, Last week: 4) — The Tigers were idle last week. It’ll be interesting to see their new offense debut Friday night against North Rockland.
5. Poughkeepsie (1-0, Last week: 5) — We’ll find out Saturday if the Pioneers have finally taken that final step from contender to favorite.
6. Harrison (1-0, Last week: 6) — How’d the Huskies do without all those seniors? Oh, they just went up 28-0 in a half against a possible playoff contender in Lakeland. But the stiffest test comes Saturday.
7. Arlington (1-0, Last week: 7) — I have a feeling last week’s 16-9 win over Suffern will look a lot better as the year goes on. It doesn’t get any easier with Yorktown tonight.
8. Somers (1-0, Last week: 9) — I was impressed with Somers’ ability to get better and better as the game went on. That’s a good characteristic in Class A, where almost every game is a grind.
9. Yorktown (1-0, Last week: 10) — The ‘Huskers won last week to maintain their spot, but the jury is still out. Friday night’s meeting with Arlington should render a verdict — one way or the other.
10. John Jay-East Fishkill (1-0, Last week: NR) — We won’t know for another week or two the quality of John Jay’s win over Carmel. But we do know that going on the road and winning by three touchdowns is no joke.
On the bubble: Croton-Harmon, Horace Greeley, Mahopac, Bronxville.
1. New Rochelle
2. White Plains
5. John Jay-East Fishkill
8. Clarkstown South
9. Clarsktown North
4. Horace Greeley
7. John Jay
10. Sleepy Hollow
3. Putnam Valley
9. Our Lady of Lourdes
2. Dobbs Ferry
7. Rye Neck
8. Blind Brook
2. Iona Prep
3. Mount St. Michael
4. Fordham Prep
5. Sacred Heart
1. Rye Country Day