Perhaps the headline for this post is unfair. Just as easily, I could’ve written “what not to expect” because there’s so much going on this week it may have been easier to list topics unfit for discussion.
Remember, you have:
— 5 state semifinals
— 2 CHSFL championships
— 1 NEPSAC bowl goal
— The start of basketball practice (it started Monday)
— The Senior Bowl
— And next week’s Turkey Bowls
That’s quite a bit to chew on. For the last topic, you’ll have to wait until next week. And there probably won’t be quite enough time or space to start the basketball chatter until next week, but be warned: It is very much on the horizon.
Remember, Mount Vernon returns a terrific team and is set to go national again; Stepinac is back as the CHSAA A division defending champ and may have even more talent; Tappan Zee and Blind Brook will be out to prove their championships were not flukes; and Woodlands will try to move on without Davonne Henry and Malik Atkins, while Iona Prep, Peekskill and New Rochelle try to move forward without some dominant seniors after falling short of championships last year. And that’s just a sliver of it.
But I know most of you remain in football mode. So here’s a look at what’s coming your way this week:
• A preview of Saturday’s CHSFL AAA and AA championship games. I intend to stop by or chat with key figures at Iona Prep and Stepinac as they prepare to cap successful seasons with championships. I’ll take a look at what are the keys for both.
• A look at the details surrounding this week’s Senior Bowl.
• A preview of the Class C and D state semifinals for Bronxville and Tuckahoe, respectively, as the two try to deliver on their favorite statuses.
• A preview of the Class AA, A and B state semis for New Rochelle, Harrison and Croton-Harmon, respectively. New Ro faces a new opponent; Harrison meets a successful one; and Croton competes against the team that Nanuet beat en route to the Dome last year.
• The preview edition of Varsity Insider Chat.
• Predictions in the morning.
• Twitter updates and blog recaps of Friday’s state semifinals for Tuckahoe and Harrison.
• Twitter updates and blog recaps of Saturday’s state semifinals for New Rochelle, Croton and Bronxville; the CHSFL championship games; and Rye Country Day’s appearance in the NEPSAC bowl.
• A look ahead at next week’s schedule, including who’s next for the Section 1 teams that advance to the Carrier Dome.